God, Love & Food - Part 1


I have told myself that I would not post or discuss several things in my blogging and religion is one of them.  So, this may or may not come out as intended.  But in today's age and our current health situation, I feel I must.  No, not regularly...but allow me this once. 


I have seen so many articles, posts and comments regarding God, food and religion lately, that I just wanted to express my feelings.  This is not meant to ruffle feathers, but make us think about exactly who we are and who God may be.


I believe Christians are getting (or have had all along) a bad image.  Christians, or at least the outspoken ones seem to be very vocal and quite frankly judgmental.  And at times completely deluded.   I know they (sometimes me) mean well.  

These are my thoughts in no certain order.  I recently had several moms post their "healthy" foods and suggest that others eat healthy too.  While that is great advice, I did mention to them that the food they posted was in fact not healthy but full of GMOs, factory farmed animals and pesticide laden chemicals.  (yes, I know that's obnoxious but, food is what I do).  

They were not at all offended and seemed to know all of this and suggested to me that they prayed over the food and therefore it would not harm them.  I asked about my loved ones who had gotten Cancer.  They suggested that my loved ones were not faithful enough.  Seriously? 

It is completely insulting to even suggest that if my husband and other loved ones had prayed harder over their pesticide processed food, they would not have gotten Cancer (and autoimmune and other food related diseases).  

Faith is key to Christianity, but ignorance is not.  

God did not give us minds and intelligence to not use them.  It is talked about in the new testament about meat and whether or not is ok.  I believe it is Paul in Romans 14: 1-23, who says it is fine to eat meat as long as it does not go against his conscience.  The Jewish people had so many rules about food back then, that Paul was simply saying meat or no meat - just honor God.   So, I am not here to debate meat or no meat.   That is none of my business, that is between you and God.

What I am here debating is the fact that our food system is poisoned and as Christians, we should be aware of that.  Treat your body like a temple.  Have you heard that?  This means take care of your body.  Be aware and educated of what you are eating.  I find it hard to believe that God finds our current food system of His standards.  Hardly.  We are to be good stewards of the earth.

Think.

We are to treat animals, each other and our planet with respect.  Factory farming, dumping billions of dangerous Cancer causing pesticides and GMOs (genetically engeeered seeds that are patented through big ag corporations) are all completely against God.
Think about it.

Picture this:  A Sunday school class watching a factory farmed video about where your hamburger meat comes from.  The cows are side by side, diseased and sick.  In pain from the physical abuse by their "care takers".  Living in their own feces.  And off to the slaughter they go.  Where they are cut up - alive.  Your dinner - Cancer riden and tortured before arriving to you neatly packaged in your local grocer.  Yum?

Apologies for the somewhat graphic description, but that is accurate.   

As a Christian, do you approve?  Is this treatment "as unto God"? 

Proverbs 12:10  

Whoever is righteous has regard for the life of his beast, but the mercy of the wicked is cruel. 

Is this as God intended when he said in Genesis 1: 21-31 - And God said, “Behold, I have given you every plant yielding seed that is on the face of all the earth, and every tree with seed in its fruit. You shall have them for food. And to every beast of the earth and to every bird of the heavens and to everything that creeps on the earth, everything that has the breath of life, I have given every green plant for food.” And it was so. And God saw everything that he had made, and behold, it was very good. And there was evening and there was morning, the sixth day.

You make a choice every single time you buy food for your body and your family's.

Whether you eat meat, pork, drink wine (yes, please) or eat only plants, do so to glorify God.

Are you for or against God?

God, Love & Food - Part 2


Comments